Friday, 24 July 2009

A Tale Of The Unexpected

Last Thursday was a normal sort of day - a little trip to Reading to have a simple (I'm told) colonoscopy at the Berkshire Independent Hospital in the morning, then a spot of painting in the afternoon, before going out to dinner in the evening.

But fate was hovering about - intent on messing things up a bit.

Having donned a dressing gown over the unbelievable dark blue outsize 'Bridget Jones' pants I waited my turn, idly chatting to a woman who'd just returned from having had her colonoscopy. It didn't sound too bad - in fact quite interesting, as she said you could watch the entire procedure on a video screen. As I'd never seen the inside of my body I thought I'd take advantage of the situation. Someone had told me that a colon is the length of a double-decker bus, so I prepared myself for a Disney-style adventure.

But it wasn't to be! The surgeon had just received the results of the CT scan I'd had the previous weekend. His words didn't exactly fill me with joy as he calmly, kindly and soberly announced that it showed a large blockage in my colon indicating bowel cancer! A bit of a blow - to say the least. "However I can operate on you this afternoon, if you'd like!" said the surgeon. So at 4 o'clock I was wheeled away for a major three-hour operation and my day ended in a high dependency unit at the hospital. They removed about twelve inches of the cancerous growth, and here I am - just over a week later - reclining on my hospital bed, a good bit lighter.

A friend is kindly typing this into my blog for me, as I'm as weak as a kitten and can't manage much at the moment.

Even though I won't be able to drive for a couple of months and am not expected to be back to normal health and strength for about 6 months, I do have three pieces of good news:
1. Due to the nature of the operation I promise I won't post any photographs.
2. I'm going home tomorrow to stay with my sister-in-law, Val.
3. Best of all - the lab results have just come in. All the cancerous growth has been successfully removed, with no 'spread' whatsoever.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their concern about my health on my blog.

Till next time - bye for now.

14 comments:

Golden Oriole said...

Given the circumstances, that's about as good as it gets. I am relieved for you. All the best.

RG9 said...

Well, I think it's a poor show - no photos! And not even a specimen jar?
Seriously though, Bill, it was great to see you post on here just a week after major surgey and I think that's pretty impressive.
I hope you are soon back to full health and strength.
Cheers [even if you probably can't drink what you like yet!]

Bluebells in the spring said...

Good to have you back in blogland, Bill! I have seen enough pictures of my H's colonoscopy adventure, I don't recommend you put yours up - be kind to us!

A very warm welcome back, Bill!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see an update! I've been thinking of you each day and looking forward to hearing your cheer via the blog! Stay well and wishing you a quick recovery... By the Holidays you'll be feeling good as new! It was probably almost 'better' to have the operation be a surprise?! Not having to dwell on it's impending... Please rest up :-) Very happy it's over and that your doing so well!

Joy said...

oops annonymous is me... Joy lol :)

Mona said...

Bill, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this, and also relieved to hear that the prognosis is very good. You are in my prayers until you are feeling 100%, and painting and boating once again, my friend.

Wes and Rachelle Siegrist said...

Welcome back to cyberland Bill! Rachelle is quite content that you skipped posting the short video of your journey and I'm sure you'd prefer to post less stressful adventures with friends and critters. Thanks for keeping us all informed. The news is spreading around the Net that you're doing better and all will be delighted with the lab results!

Rest up!

Love, Wes & Rachelle

RG9 said...

Talk of lab results reminds me . . .

I took my pet duck to the vet today. It had seemed pretty lifeless and after I put it on the table the vet looked at it, then at me and pronounced it deceased.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes, definitely. That will be £20 please"

"Can I have a second opinion please?" I asked.

"Of course" he said and asked his nurse to bring in the cat. She did so and placed the cat on the table with the duck. The cat carefully sniffed up and down and then shook its head before jumping off the table and leaving the room.

Then the vet asked the nurse to bring in the labrador. The dog jumped up on the table and carefully sniffed the duck. Then it, too, shook its head, jumped down and left the room.

"I'm very sorry", said the vet "but your duck is really is very definitely deceased. That will will be £200 please."

"WHAT?" says I. "A few moments ago it was only £20".

"Yes" replied the vet, "but now you've had a cat scan AND a lab report as well!"

Hope this cheers you up a bit, Bill!

Hui said...

Uncle Bill,
Take good care of yourself and hope to see you back at blogging soon.

Rest well!

Love,
WaiHeng

Carol Andre' said...

All the best from MN too- I enjoy your blog so much and am so glad it "all turned out in the end"...
Hope you're up to snuff soon again and blogging and enjoying life to the fullest once more.

Pootle said...

Hope you make a speedy recovery Bill, and that soon you'll be painting again and having more adventures to share with us!

Gary Keimig said...

My prayers are with you Bill. Have a speedy recolvery and get back to the paints as soon as you can. it is great therapy. I underwent Prostate surgery and had a number of complications myself and for 4 years life was the pits but have now been told to assume a normal life. My inclination was a pack trip to Yellowstone but my wife had other ideas about that. I am however off and hiking, climbing and spending a great deal of time in the mountains.
God bless and do everything the Doc tells you to do.

RG9 said...

Paul Daniels posted an update on Bill on his website yesterday and I hope he [PD] won't mind me putting it on here to update Bill's followers.

PD wrote: "Bill managed to escape from hospital for a while, with no traces of creeping cancer, but then got another problem so he has gone back in for another check-up."

Hopefully all is well and Bill will soon be able to update us all himself.

Joy said...

Thanks for this further update... I check in here daily and am keeping Bill close at heart in my thoughts and prayers...
Joy